These guidelines are criteria for defining supporting ministries as outlined in the General Conference Working Policy K 05 05:
- The leaders and representatives of supporting ministries shall be loyal members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in good standing.
- The theological positions of the supporting ministries and the emphasis placed upon them shall be in harmony with the fundamental beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. In supporting these beliefs, the context of both the biblical text and writings of Ellen G. White will be faithfully used. The theological positions not addressed in the fundamental beliefs shall not be promoted.
- The leaders of supporting ministries shall support and cooperate with the goals and purposes of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in their words, actions, and publications. Their work shall positively supplement that of the church in carrying out the gospel commission.
- Supporting ministry leaders and their personnel shall clearly and explicitly state in their legal documents and their dealings with third parties that they support the spiritual missions of the church but are independent supporting ministries not controlled by or legally affiliated with the Church.
- Supporting ministries shall not accept tithe from Seventh-day Adventist Church members but shall encourage their supporters to be faithful in returning tithe and appropriate offerings through the authorized channels of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- Supporting ministries providing services outside their own Division territory shall consult with, and secure approval from, the Division administration concerned regarding the nature, extent and duration of services rendered within that Division.