- Bongani holds a Master’s Degree in Development Studies.
- He has served as a Community Development Manager for 14 years at an NGO sector under the erstwhile KwaZulu Training Trust (KTT), a subsidiary institution of the erstwhile KwaZulu Development Corporation.
- He joined the public service in which he spent a large part of his 18 years’ experience in the forefront of public administration, management and the provision of public services.
- He worked as Director of the Community Based Public Works Programme (CBPWP) under the National Department of Public Works in Pretoria and served as the first head of the Public Service Commission in KZN
- In church ministry, Bongani has held all church positions, from Sabbath school secretary to elder.
- He has been with ASI from its inception as an ordinary member but got into office around 2008.
- His hobbies include classical music, cycling and brisk walking.
- Happily married to Nosibanda, with 2 children Nomandla and Mamolaoli.